Garage door installation is a task of a professional garage door service provider, hence it’s very obvious that as homeowners, we don’t know many hardware parts of the garage door. But springs are something that we have often heard of. Garage door springs, mainly of two types – torsion and extension, perform one of the very important tasks which is counterbalancing the garage door. In counterbalancing the system, the force is used to offset the garage door’s weight, making it safe and reliable when it goes up and comes down. The weight management is done by one of the two springs: torsion or extension. Now, what’s the difference when the function of both springs is the same?
Garage door spring repair is one of the common problems faced by garage owners as springs need proper maintenance and get damaged quite often. For the same reason, homeowners opt for torsion garage door springs which are very common and modern these days. Available in various sizes, torsion springs can be as long as your garage door demands it to be. The length of the torsion spring is calculated on the basis of the garage door’s weight, track radius, and height. The installation of these springs is done on the top of the door. Their operation results in sliding into a channel where the lifting cables are located. The winding and unwinding of the torsion spring help the door to lift and come down in a controlled manner.
Here’s why you should go for torsion garage door springs:
- Tough and durable: There’s no doubt that a torsion spring would save a lot of your money. Being sturdier than the extension, they are long-lasting up to 15000 to 20000 cycles.
- Less stress on parts: Torsion springs keep the door movement balanced and it has less stress on other hardware parts. Your garage door opener doesn’t take much stress while lifting and lowering the garage door with torsion springs.
- They are safe: At the end of the day, what matters is the safety of you and your family. Even if you get the torsion spring worn off, it doesn’t come out of the shaft, rather it makes a loud noise indicating that there’s damage in the spring. Extension springs on the other hand can snap off, thus can damage your property or worse results in a mishap.
Extension spring is old school but still considered a better option by many garage owners due to the reasonable price tag it carries. They are ideal for small garage doors. Extension garage door springs are installed on the side of the garage door against overhead. They don’t settle in a large overhead space rather get extended when the door operates.
The downside of extension springs
- Extension springs have a short life of 10000 cycles.
- They demand more maintenance than torsion counterparts.
- Additional wear and tear are there as they operate in a jerking motion.
- They come out of the shaft when broken hence can invite disasters.
Despite these drawbacks, extension garage door springs are more in demand due to their low price and besides that, they are generally safe too if installed with safety cables and maintained seriously.
Trust Local Garage Door Repairs Houston For all your Garage Door Services!
When you witness commotion in your torsion or extension garage door springs, take help from the experts at Local Garage Door Repairs Houston and be relaxed. If you have no idea of what type of springs is installed in your garage door, feel free to bother us 24/7 and get an expert consultation from our trained technicians.